Whitwick Mineral Water

Collection of late C19th and early C20th Whitwick bottles

In addition to the usual village trades, Whitwick also once had three mineral water factories. The largest of these was the firm of Bernard Beckworth on Cademan Street, which was established in 1875 and ran until the 1970s; it is listed in Kelly’s Directories of Leicestershire from 1904 through to 1941 as ‘Beckworth and Co. Ltd, Charnwood Mineral Water Works’.

Whitwick Mineral Water

By 1904, the firm of Stinson Brothers, based on Loughborough Road, had appeared.

By 1912, this firm is listed as simply Horace Stinson and it has disappeared from the Whitwick Directories by 1928. The firm of Richard Massey appears from 1916, listed at 36, Castle Street, Whitwick. Massey’s has disappeared by 1941. A Stinson Bros codd bottle appeared among lots listed for auction in Barnsley (BBR Auctions) on Saturday 8 January 2006. It was described as a 9 inch tall emerald green glass codd bottle, embossed, ‘STINSON BROS/WHITWICK.’ The guide price was £80 - £100, the relatively high estimate presumably reflecting the rarity of the glass, but the bottle was in fact sold for £515. The bottle was turned up by a plough in a field opposite A.W.Waldrum’s Coal Merchant's premises on Grace Dieu Road, Whitwick and is the only known example.

There is also known to have existed a ‘Botanical Brewery’, though it is believed that this may have been a part of the Stinson or Massey enterprises, both of which later moved to Hermitage Road. Both firms are listed on Hermitage Road (under Coalville) in a trade directory of 1941. There are also known to have been examples of nineteenth century bottles bearing the name of McCarthy and Beckworth, Coalville.

Images of Old Whitwick

Whitwick Market Place Whitwick Market Place
Silver Street Silver Street
Vicarage Street Vicarage Street
Market Place Whitwick Market Place
Castle Hill Castle Hill
Cademan Street Cademan Street
Brooks Lane Brooks Lane
City of Three Waters City of Three Waters
Cyclists in Whitwick | Whitwick Historical Group Cyclists in Whitwick
Mount St Bernard Abbey | Whitwick Historical Group Mount St Bernard Abbey